Abbots Langley

Gallows Hill


This postcard of The Unicorn, Gallows Hill Road, Abbots Langley  is a Valentine's Bromotype (68758 JV)


Gallows Hill, Abbots Langley

Same image on coloured card, posted 1911

 The Unicorn building largely dates from the 17th century with evidence of earlier origins. It is situated on what was in the 18th century the main road from London to Berkhamsted. The first mention of the building as licensed premises is in 1756 when it was run by Francis Knowles who was also a sawyer. In 1768 it was owned by Nathanial Hitchcock who was a wheelwright from Hunton Bridge. In 1786 it was sold to John Smith who  was a Watford brewer and subsequently it was brought by Peter Clutterbuck, brewer of Stanmore.  (Hertfordshire Inns and Public Houses)

Publicans at the Unicorn

1851 John Hodgson, Gallows Hill

1866 Mrs L, Deacon, Gallows Hill

1882 Jn. Monk, Gallows Hill

1890 John Monk, Langleybury

1902 William North, Langleybury

1922 William North, Langleybury

1933 Wltr. T. Hebbs, Langleybury

Kelly's Directories


Page created  January 2009