|George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) moved to The New Rectory (now Shaw's Corner) at Ayot Saint Lawrence in 1906 and the extracts below come from his last completed work. He took all the photographs himself and wrote the rhymes shortly before his last illness. He left Shaw's Corner to the National Trust and it is open to the public.||
George Bernard Shaw's House
< This postcard "The Chucker Out" shows George Bernard Shaw at Shaw's Corner shortly before his death.
His house became the property of the National Trust and became a place of pilgrimage, as this "The Bernard Shaw Special" ticket shows.
Extracts from Bernard Shaw's
Rhyming Picture Guide to
Ayot Saint Lawrence
Pass on; and with delight behold
Our Abbey Church, five centuries old
Here Ayot Cottage you may witness
And marvel at its names unfitness
For cottagers can not afford
In such a style to bed and board
|This hall The Manor House is called,
Edward the Sixth its lord installed.
No lord can now afford to dwell there
And guarantee the building's welfare
December 2009 - Page created by reformatting existing material