Hertfordshire Genealogy

Guide to Old Hertfordshire

 

Thorley

Thorley is on the south side of   Bishops Stortford

 

Places

Thorley

 

Thorley Church

A. Maxwell, Photographer, Bishop's Stortford. 

Posted Dated 4/12/04

image provided by Bill Hardy

 

For more pictures and information see

St James the Great

 

The village has shifted away from the church to Thorley Street leaving the church in a rural situation.

THORLEY, a parish in Braughin Hundred, Bishop's Stortford Union, 3 miles north of Sawbridgeworth, 2 miles south-wet of Bishop's Stortford, and 31 miles from London, contained, in 1841, 396 inhabitants, and 2,540 acres of land; the assessment, in 1815, was 2,219, and in 1842, 2,760. The church was repaired in 1822. The living is a rectory, valued at 455, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. T. Pennington, M.A.; the Rev. Montague P. Sparrow, M.A., is the curate.

Twyfordbury is a hamlet.

Letters are received through the Bishop's Stortford office

1851 Post Office Directory for Hertfordshire

 

Hawke Charles, esq.
Hobson Geo, esq. Twyford Great House
Rogers Isaac, esq. Thorley Hall
Sparrow Rev. Montague P, M.A. [curate], Rectory

TRADERS

Giffen Joseph, beer retailer
Gilbert Thos, 'Coach & Horses,' & frmr
Green Thomas, farmer, Thorley wash
Groom Mrs. farmer
Hawkings William, farmer
Heath Joseph, sen. farmer
Joscelyn Joseph, blacksmith
Nottage William, farmer
Osborn Thomas, carpenter
Phipp Thos. frmr. & at Bishop's Stortfd
Skingle Thomas, farmer
Tannar John, farmer, Twyfordbury
Tanner William, miller, Twyford Mill

 

Thorley Hall

no publisher's name 

reference AR  XL-C

Post Card  Carte Postal  Postkarte

image provided by Bill Hardy

 

 

Thorley Hall, close to the church, C18 modernizations to the S front, but behind are remains of a C14 aisled hall with octagonal posts and moulded capitals. Roof with later tie-beams inserted.

The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire

Thorley (7 miles S.E.) includes the hamlet of Thorley Street. The parish church has a fine Norman doorway but is mainly of early English dating.

Braughing Rural District Official Guide 1971

The Rectory, Thorley

Club Series

Printed by S. J. Bull, Bishop's Stortford.
Posted 20/07/07

image provided by Bill Hardy

 

Web Site: Bishops Stortford and Thorley - A History and Guide - A very useful site with 150 pages and 750 photographs.

Web Site: St James the Great, Thorley - includes a good history of the church, and data base of memorials, and an excellent series of historical articles about the village "From the Archives" by Bill Hardy.

Web Site: St Barnabas Barn, Thorley - Describes a large Tudor farm barn which has been converted for use as a church and community centre. With good historical background and pictures.

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.

February 2011 Major revision with menu and new material