Books |
Places |
Kings Langley |
A History of the Shops in Kings Langley High Street
Published Kings Langley Local History & Museum Society, 2003
An excellent little booklet provides information on the following old buildings on the High Street: 1. 5 (formerly The Jolly Miller), 11, 15, 17, 19, 21 (formerly The Swan), 25, 27, 31 (formerly The Hollybush), 37, 39, 41, 43, 47 (The Saracen's Head), 49, 51, 53, 57, 59/61, 2/4, 6. 8, 10/12 (blacksmith & forge), 14, 16, 18, 36, 38, 40, 42, Rose & Crown.
Sample Page:
No. 21 High Street In the original deeds, dated 1755, these premises were named as The Man in the Moon. Trading continued under that name until in 1854 the property was rebuilt, including two cottages on the south side, and the name was changed to The Swan beer house. In the 1960s changes in the licensing laws enabled the granting of a full licence. The Swan was occupied in 1859 by Richard STURMAN and owned by George Fearnley WHITTINGSTALL, brewer of Abbots Langley. In the 1860s and 70s, William BALDWIN was Beer House Keeper here, and from 1881 until 1903 Thomas EAST was the publican. From 1904 the publicans or 'beer retailers' were:
In November 1996 Oscars Pizza Parlour opened and this is now a popular eating place. |
Locating
Books At the time this page was last updated copies were available from the publisher |
Page created March 2008