Ayot Saint Lawrence

 

AYOT ST. LAWRENCE

Is a small parish, l0 miles north-west of Hertford station, 3 west of Welwyn, and 5 west of the Great Northern railway, in Broadwater hundred, Hatfield union, diocese of Rochester, archdeaconry of St . .Albans, deanery of Welwyn, and Hertford county court district. The church is a modern building in a mixed Italian style. The living is a rectory, annual value 180, in the gift of Lionel Lytle, Esq.; the incumbent is the Rev. John Olive, M.A.; and the Rev. John Harding, Church Missionary College, of Codicote, is curate. The old church is in ruins, and is an object of much interest to antiquaries. The area of the parish is 747 acres; the population in 1861 was 122. Here is a school supported by the rector. Ayot House, now occupied by Colonel Cavendish, was formerly the residence of Anne Boleyn: it has a noble appearance, and is surrounded by plantations and stately trees, extending over 200 acres of park.

LAMER PARK,  Bibsworth Hall, Reed Hall, Bride Hall, and Abbot's Hay, are places in the neighbourhood.

Post Office.- Letters arrive from Welwyn.

Cavendish, Col. W. H. Frederick, J.P., Ayot House

Deard, John, Three Horseshoes

Olive, Rev. John, M.A., Parsonage

Ivory, Edward, farmer, Cross farm

Bentley, Mrs. Sarah, shopkeeper

Pavitt, William, farmer

Danks Hertfordshire Directory 1863

Detail of Charles Smith Map, 1808


The Village of Ayot St Lawrence

Ayot St Lawrence

Published by F. Chennells, Wheathampstead - back circa 1905

Also uncoloured published by E. Ashby, Welwyn



from Afoot in Hertfordshire by Frank Dawes


 

The Old Ruined Church


Silk Mill

George Bernard Shaw

Shaw Rail Excursion

Ayot Rectory

GBS & Ayot St Lawrence
 
   
 

Selected Answers

ASHBY, Ayot St Lawrence, circa 1800
BROWN, Digswell House, Late 19th Century
If you have a relevant question why not Ask Chris

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.

     
Permanent Link   www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/links/ayot-st-lawrence.htm
February 2013   Page reformated with new menu