Buntingford (4 miles N.W.) is on the river Rib, and has developed astride the busy trunk road A. 10 (Ermine Street) and retains a number of picturesque old houses and inns. Edward III granted a market and fair here against a yearly rent of 6d. St. Peter's Church was built early in the 17th century as a chapel-of-ease to Layston. The almshouses on Market Hill, founded in 1684, by Seth Ward of Aspenden who became successively Bishop of Exeter and Salisbury, form an interesting group of mellowed buildings.
In the High Street is the ancient Town Clock over the premises owned by the Buntingford Charity Trust. This well-known clock is over 500 years old and has an interesting history.
Between Buntingford and Hare Street, Hormead, is the 17th century residence of Alswick Hall. A mile to the north-east, in Saxon times, was the village of Laystone, but nothing now remains here except the original parish church, now disused. The church was of flint construction with Roman bricks incorporated and dates from 13th century.
Buntingford is the only parish in the Rural District where limited expansion is taking place in accordance with the County Development Plan, and the new large depot recently established there by J. Sainsbury Limited has necessitated the provision of many new houses to accommodate the families of employees. Considerable private residential development has also recently taken place here and the population of Buntingford, is likely to increase to approximately 4,500. With this expansion the Council have recognised the need to provide additional facilities and land has recently been acquired for open space purposes and it is anticipated that works relating to the construction of a public car park will shortly be commenced.
|The Buntingford Murder|
|J R Jones, Congregational Minister, 1911-1922|
|FARRINGTON, Buntingford, Early 19th century|
|If you have a relevant question why not Ask Chris|
River Walk Buntingford
- Frith post card
Coles Park, Buntingford
Published E. E. Darville, Buntingford
Printed in Berlin
Web: Buntingford in Old Photographs: an online collection of nearly 2000 old photographs of Buntingford & district (Facebook account needed to view).
Web: The History of the Workhouse contains significant information about the workhouse.
Sandy Hole, Buntingford
A. G. Day, Publisher, Buntingford
If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.
Page updated January 2008
December 2009 - Exrta postcard added
July 2010 - more external web links
August 2012 - Buntingford in Old Photographs