Bishops Stortford

River Stort Navigation

On the Banks of the River, Bishops Stortford
from water colour drawing by G. Healey, 1908
postcard published by J. Salmon, Sevenoaks


For more information about the River Stort Navigation visit the following web sites:


Lee & Stort Navigation

Bishops Stortford & Thorley

This page follows the River Stort Navigation from Twyford Lock to the North end at The Wharf

Twyford Mill & Lock

River Stort at Twyford

Pub. C & D Taylor, 31 Potter Street,
Bishop's Stortford 2-6588

Circa 1930?

image provided by Bill Hardy

South of Twyford Lock. The footbridge is known locally as the Matchstick Bridge


Twyford Lock, River Stort, Bishop's Stortford

The British Mirror Series 16/11

Dated 4/07/06

image provided by Bill Hardy


Twyford Mill, Thorley

(Bishop's Stortford)

Valentine's L 1708

circa 1940?

image provided by Bill Hardy


Thorley (or South Mill) Lock

On the Stort
Bishops Stortford

The Wrench Series No. 6290
Posted 1910

Looking south from South Mill Lock. The building on the right is a lock keepers cottage.


On the Stort, Bishop Stortford
Valentine No 39273
negative date 1903

River water in excess of that needed for the barge traffic overflows down the channel in the middle distance. The bridge to the far left carries the main railway line.


Thorley Lock & River Stort  

"Kromo" Series  B&D  London E.C. No. T 21640

 (Dated 1/09/08)

image provided by Bill Hardy

River Stort, Bishop's Stortford
no publisher information
back suggests a date around 1908

A barge can be seen about to enter (or having just left) the lock. Two notice boards can be seen which were not in there when the above card was taken.



Lock View, Bishops Stortford

Looking South

A. Maxwell, Photographer, Bishops Stortford
circa 1910


By South Mill Lock

WHS, Kingsway Real Photo
Series. S10200

(Dated 4/04/17) 

image provided by Bill Hardy

South Mill

Bishop Stortford, The River
"Mardon's Series"
back suggests a date around 1903

A winter scene, with snow on the ground and ice on the river. The bridge in the distance is South Mill Bridge and the following card shows the same stretch of canal looking in the opposite direction

The Mardon Brothers, 10 North Street, Bishops Stortford, published the Herts & Essex Observer.  Harry Mardon was a stationer and bookseller, 12 North Street. [Kelly 1902]


Valentine post cards

image provided by Bill Hardy


River Stort at Southmill

JV 64257 (1910)


At Southmill Bridge

JV 64271 (1910)

South Mill Bridge, Bishop's Stortford

A. Maxwell, Photographer, Bishops Stortford

Posted 1905

image provided by Bill Hardy

Also Kromo card (coloured) # 21979


Towards the Town

The River, Bishop's Stortford
Frith No 44295      Negative date 1899

Monochrome version of the same view. The coloured version of the card was posted in 1962


River Stort, Bishop's Stortford
Valentine No 215245 JV
Negative date 1931

posted 1937

The Maltings approaching Station Bridge

River Stort, Bishop's Stortford
A. Maxwell, Photographer, Bishops Stortford
Posted 1909

Note the working barge, beyond the rowing boat.

Arthur Maxwell was a photographer at 27 Potter Street, Bishops Stortford. [Kelly 1902]

The Stort from Station Bridge, Bishops Stortford
Valentine No 64269 JV - Negative date 1910

NOTE: Both these cards carry the same Valentine reference number


The Wharf


The Wharf, Bishops Stortford
Valentine No 64268 JV
Negative date 1910
Posted 1918

Continue Upstream.

Page created October 2007