A Walk through Tring  in Early Picture Postcards
mainly by local photographers

The London Road end of the High Street


This picture (from Tring: A Pictorial History) was taken from the London Road looking towards the High Street (to the left) and Brook Street (to the right). The public house at the start of Brook Street is the Robin Hood.

Old Green Man, Tring

"Old" possibly refers to fact it had been demolished
Chadwick Series Tring, Circa 1903

Green Man, John Woodman, 5 High Street,Tring.  Kelly's Hertfordshire Directory 1902. 

This public house was demolished as  part of the Rothschild High Street developments in the early 1900s.


See TOMPKINS, Tring, late 18th/early 19th Century for information on some earlier landlords of the Green Man and other businesses run by the Tompkins family in the early 19th century.


High Street, Tring
de Fraine & Co, Tring
circa 1903

The entrance gates to Tring Mansion.
Erected by the Rothschilds.

See a list of
The High Street Shops in 1881

Opposite where the Green Man was, and where the gates were erected there was a row of shops - which still look very similar today.



High Street, Tring
Unnumbered Valentine card
posted 1909
Same picture on a postcard published by De Fraine and posted 1920

The first shop is that of Ernest Kelsall Fulks, a draper at 48-49 High Street
Kelly's Hertfordshire Directory 1908

The nearest white building was earlier the Plough Inn. The shop beyond was a hardware shop in 1851 and is still one today (2016)

Continue West to the Rose & Crown and Market House

Page revised December 2008