Standon

In 1845 part of this parish became the ecclesiastical district of High Cross.

Puckeridge is a village part of which is in Braughing parish and part in Standon parish

For the Wadesmill part of Standon see Thundridge

 
 


From Robert Morden's Map 1695 (1753 or 1772 edition)

STANDON, a parish (formerly a market town) in the hundred of Braughin, county of Hertford, 8 miles (N.E.) from Hertford, containing 2135 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the arch-deaconry of Middlesex, and diocese of London, rated in the king's books at 14.13.4., and in the patronage of the Rev. Henry Law. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient building, with a tower on the north side. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. 

About five miles from Ware, on the Cambridge road, in this parish, is St. Edmund's College, established for the education of the sons of the English nobility, clergy, and gentry, of the Roman Catholic religion. The building was erected in 1795, under the direction of Mr. James Taylor, architect, and consists of a range of buildings four stories high, and, with its two wings, three hundred feet long; more than eighty students can be conveniently accommodated. The course of education is commercial, classical, and theological: the institution is under the management of a president and vice-president, and there are eight professors and masters. The usual period for continuing at college is twelve years; the first seven are devoted to history, the mathematics, the ancient and modern languages, &c., and the remaining five are appropriated to logic, metaphysics, theology, and divinity. The occasion of founding this institution was the expulsion of the English Roman Catholics from their college in Douay, at the commencement of the French Revolution. 

A free school for the instruction of poor children was endowed with 33 per annum, by Thomas Fisher, in 1612, and other benefactions. The market, which was on Friday, was granted by Charles II., together with two fairs; a pleasure fair is held on the 25th of April. The ancient Ermin-street runs through this parish.

Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Mounting Stool and School, Standon
Published by Frith possibly 1950s

Web Site: Tom Charney has a small website (www.sadleir.org) dedicated to Sir Ralph Sadleir (1507-1587) the knight and statesman who served Henry VIII thru Elizabeth I. He was associated with Standon, and a section of the site contains very useful information on the village..

The Village Street

from the book A History of the Parish of Standon

Standon Street, Standon, Hertfordshire - pc by Gordon Smith

Standon Street

Published by Gordon Smith, 15 Stroud Green Road, N - No.1702

Posted1910

 

     
June 2010   Major restructuring with new material
November 2012   Standon Street pc added - picture of paper mill moved to Mills Page